| | Stumble It! | Add to Mixx! | | diigo it | | Slashdot |

PDX Coffee News

Friday, July 11, 2008

Review - Pastini

I took another trip into downtown tonight only this time I brought the whole family hoping to find a nice little cafe style coffee house that we could all enjoy. Katie wanted to get a panini and I wanted to get some coffee so that I could write up another review ... and get some coffee.

We drove around downtown, parked, and the three of us walked around trying to find just such a place. After having walked many blocks on his own two little legs, Mark had reached his limit and decided it was time to be carried. Then, after walking many more blocks without spotting a suitable cafe, I decided that my limit had been reached and we needed to compromise.

Enter Pastini.

Like the Moonstruck Chocolate Cafe, Pastini wan't a coffee house, it's an Italian restaurant so I'm 0 for 2 with reviewing an actual coffee house here at PDX Coffee. I'm so willing to continue such a bad average because the experience was such a positive one.

From the outside, Pastini seemed like a relatively high-class Italian restaurant where you might take someone for a fancy night out so I was a bit hesitant to go inside carrying a kid and wearing cut-off cargo pants and Birkenstocks. Katie, however, showed me the menu and with little more effort convinced me that it would be worth it. My fears of being out of place were entirely invalid. We were quickly shown to a table right in the middle of the main seating area and Mark was given crayons and some paper to draw on. The waitstaff was polite, prompt and courteous and I suspect that it was the owner of the restaurant that actually brought us our meal. We both ordered paninis with a side salad and were very pleasantly surprised at the size of the portions and, after taking a bite, the quality.

I couldn't let the opportunity pass so I ordered a cup of the house blend which was provided by Portland Roasting Company. Incorporating the lessons that I learned from my previous review, I accepted the cream and sugar this time. The coffee was decent, not great, but worth the price and definitely an overall positive experience. While I can't say it's worth tripping into downtown just to buy their coffee, I can whole heatedly recommend them for the total dining experience, especially for families.

Pastini is definitely on our "good places" list.

0 comments:


Blogspot Template by Isnaini Dot Com